Sunday, May 17, 2009

Too many pies, not enough fingers

When the work is done and all matters requiring my attention are put to rest, then (and only then) am I able to enjoy leisure activities. The time is there, but I have so many hobbies and interests that I've only found the time for diversions rather than projects.

I present a brief list of neglected pastimes I should be enjoying.

1. Guitar - I used to play at least two hours per day. I have 2 6-string acoustics, a 12-string acoustic, a Fender Telecaster, and custom-built Fender Stratocaster. They sit in closet. I haven't touched them in months. My meager skills have no doubt eroded to the point of facing frustration if and when I resume playing.

2. Reading big books without pictures - I have about 20 unread books that I have acquired in the past 18 months. I was knocking off one a week during the winter, but I have had trouble lately deciding which one to read next. My reading time consists of magazines and newspapers. I have not been inclined to pick up a book and devote the hour or two minimum needed to achieve the continuity needed to finish. To top this off there are many titles I want to reread.

3. Games - I have a nice library of tabletop war and sports games. Some have yet to be played. The issue here is that I should have settled on one game and grasped the strategies needed to be successful. Instead, I am a novice player of a multitude of games. Finding opponents is difficult. Note to self: Do not buy any more games at Gen Con this summer.

The plan is to avoid the nickel and dime distractions and focus on one of these interests.

1 comment:

Call Me Cate said...

I'm kinda with you on #1. I have a piano. I'd love to actually sit and play it. I also have a guitar I've never figured out how to play.

#2 is SO me. I have books but the interwebs distract me.

#3 isn't so much me at all. But two outta three ain't bad?

It's amazing how work and life can distract from our fun stuff.