Thursday, March 6, 2008

Reading is FUNdamental


It has been a long time. No, It has been a very long time since I have enjoyed as many books as I have in the last 2 months.

Somehow, the reading of assigned materials in college days and the professional reading mandated during my teaching career squelched my desire to read for recreation. Over the years, I forgot how to read books in relaxed manner. I raced along at 1700 words a minutes and slowed only when a crucial concept or key fact was presented. Most of my shelf books are reference materials.

I started slowly getting back to books after my retirement. I opened with Peter Guralnick's books on American music including Last Train to Memphis / Careless Love (The two-volume Elvis Presley biography) and went through a number of David Halberstam and Stephen Ambrose titles. Right out of the gate, I only cared for non-fiction. This is still the case today.

I am finishing up "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan. I've been going through about 500 pages per week and have at least 12 more books in the queue. The good news is that, not only are there many current and future releases that interest me, but I can go back through the years of books that I never found the time to read and enjoy.

No comments: