Sunday, March 30, 2008

Never again

After a night of drinking and merriment way back in my youth, and subsequently facing the next morning with a severe hangover, I often vowed never to drink again.

This morning, er ...afternoon, I crawled out of bed feeling like a teabag after it had provided its third cup. Listless, unmotivated, heavy. My blood seems to be the viscosity of SAE 40 oil. My head is a block of oak. My brain is running on cheap gas with a dirty carburetor. It pings. It stalls.

I never will eat mass quantities of sugar again.

We visited friends last night and were served some great tasting cookies. They were eaten in moderation and in themselves would not cause any major problems. Maybe I'd get a little squirrelly, but that's about the extent of it. We got home after midnight and I was in the mood for a snack. No fruit, no cold cuts or leftover meat. Nothing to eat. But Patti had a package of chocolate eggs on hand, so I had a few of those. I was watching TV and unconsciously downed a few more and then a few more before I realized I had knocked off about half the bag. The sugar rush subsided at 5:00 a.m.

Today is a lost cause. Tomorrow: a new purpose - a new day. Salads and exercise will be in order.

No comments: