Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Pledge Pin? On Your Uniform!

In the face of my hopes and dreams, the 2008 presidential campaigns have switched the focus from real issues to religion and patriotism. The thing that pisses me off the most is the polemic that has arisen over the wearing of an American flag pin. To prove to the nation that one is a patriot, punching a hole in your tailored suit and displaying a tacky flag (not unlike the ones sold by down and out winos / vets that meander through the city) is supposedly required. I'm pissed that Obama has caved in to the pressure and has started wearing one.

I'm also pissed that folks are cajoled into displaying ribbons for every "good cause" that comes around. It's not that I'm against these notions, I just don't care to to be demonstrative about my political, social, and spiritual fancies. I sure as hell resent any idea that I am somehow less caring because I don't display these stinkin' badges of yours.

No comments: