Wednesday, August 29, 2007

One Temporal Lobe Short of a Brain

About one year ago, I suddenly lost my taste for popcorn. Just like that. I went from a bag of microwave corn every night to nothing. It wasn't a conscious decision. I didn't realize that I wasn't eating popcorn until a month or two later. I tried a bag. I picked around and ate about half of it. This was a far cry from the old days of cramming kernels into my mouth with both hands. The quantity of the popcorn that I was genetically programmed to eat was reached. I no longer require or desire pop corn.

This illustrates that sometimes enough is enough. This is true for humor. Jokes get old. I'm not talking about a particular joke but a type of joke. For example, "You're mama's so fat that..." jokes. Worn out. Even though all the permutations of this joke's ending have not been explored. It dawned on me to day that stupidity metaphors have reached this point of saturation. "He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer." is a common stupidity metaphor. I cringe when someone on television throws out a stupidity metaphor. Worse than that is hearing the same joke the next day from some yutz who saw the show and is passing the joke off as his own. "Fred is one taco short of a combination plate.", he jests.

Does anyone want the rest of this popcorn?

No comments: