Sunday, June 22, 2008

Proud to be Matter

I take up space and have mass. Hooray for me.

I muse about just when folks should pipe up and say they are proud. Of course, I stand in judgement of the appropriateness of such. After all, it is a major component of this very blog.


Gay Pride. True, you are not ashamed of being a homosexual. OK. Good for you. But it does stop there. I can't think of anything that the gay community has done for their fellow man that stems from gayness alone.

Pacer Pride (or any other sports team) Nope. Not even close. You may be proud of your local team's self serving effort but being a fan isn't much of an accomplishment.

Proud to be an American - This has merit, but it's more of an I'm -glad I-don't-live-in-Sudan ring to it. It could be taken as. "By canting this slogan, I am fulfilling the requirements for civic responsibility."

"Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" Great song in its day. Sadly, the message has faded over the years.

Pride in One's Work Sure, that new car your company built is an engineering and design marvel, but if it doesn't sell, will you still be proud and continue to manufacture it?

It appears that I take issue with anyone who says they are proud of themself.

So it is.

No comments: